Two new fires were discovered in the Northwest Region by the early evening of August 20, 2021, according to an update by the Aviation, Forest Fires, Emergency Services.
The newly discovered fires were:
- Fort Frances 145 is located near Steccno lake, approximately 39 kilometres east/northeast of Atikokan. The 0.4 hectare fire is not under control.
- Fort Frances 146 is located near Nemiman Lake, approximately 50 kilometres east/northeast of Atikokan. The 0.4 hectare fire is not under control.
At the time of this update, there were 98 active fires in the northwest region. A total of 13 fires are not under control, four fires are being held, 17 fires are under control and 64 fires are being observed. Six fires were called out today.
The wildland fire hazard is high to extreme in Fort Frances, Dryden, Kenora and Thunder Bay sectors as well as the southern portions of Red Lake, Sioux Lookout and Nipigon sectors. Hazard conditions in the far north range from low to moderate due to recent rainfall.
To see the fire hazard near you, check the interactive fire map at Ontario.ca/forestfire
Fires of Note
Kenora 51 - 200,667 hectares – not under control
- Reports from the fire on Friday afternoon indicate heavy rain has entered the area.
- Crews have nearly finished dismantling values protection equipment that was previously established in Wabaseemoong as evacuees return.
- Heavy equipment has completed fireguard to the east and south of the fire.
- Kenora 51 remains 20 km north of Wabaseemoong on the northern side of Umfreville Lake. Fire behaviour has been minimal in the south and west portions of the fire area.
- Additional crews continue to be cycled in and placed on the fire line to continue with suppression efforts replacing those who require rest days.
Red Lake 51 - Being Observed – 53,522 ha
- Red Lake 51’s status changed to being observed.
- Fire is currently smoldering with several new smokes detected with some open flame.
- Crews continue to mop up smokes on the north west corner and are making good progress on the eastern flank to the south east.
- Demobilization of values protection equipment in the community of Deer Lake is complete.
- Fire is currently smoldering with no new growth.
Red Lake 65 –Being Observed - 20, 254 ha
- Red Lake 65’s status has changed to being observed.
- Priorities are focused on consolidation of eastern flank control lines and patrolling for hotspots, east of Stout Lake.
- FireRangers are continuing to make progress extinguishing hotspots.
- Demobilization of values protection equipment in the community of Deer Lake is complete
Red Lake 77 – Not Under Control – 32, 799 ha
- This fire has experienced some increased fire activity over the past couple of days primarily on the western flank; wet weather moving into the area in the next day should help in the containment of this fire.
- The western flank of RED77 is showing more active fire behaviour with open flame and torching FireRangers moved on the hotspots and open flame from this area quickly yesterday.
- Infrared scanning continues overnight.
- Fireguard east of the fire is complete