A bear den has been found in a residential neighbourhood of Dryden, which is now barricaded.
Officers with the Dryden Police Service are warning the public to use extreme caution in the area of St. Charles Street and Sandy Beach at this time, and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry has been notified.
Tips to be Bear Wise and to help prevent bears in your neighbourhood include:
- Storing garbage in waste containers with tight-fitting lids,
- Putting out garbage only on the morning of pickup,
- Putting away bird feeders for the spring,
- Cleaning food residue and grease from outdoor barbecue grills after each use,
- Keeping pet food indoors,
At this time of the year, the OPP and the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry are reminding the public to exercise extreme caution in the area.
For non-emergencies, the province operates a toll-free Bear Wise reporting line at 1-866-514-2327. The line is open 24/7 between April 1 and November 30.
If a bear is posing an immediate threat by exhibiting threatening or aggressive behavior, remain calm and call 911 or your local police department.