Police in Red Lake say a 21-year-old was arrested and charged after finding cocaine and cannabis on an impaired driver on Sunday, after complaints about their driving were reported.
The Red Lake OPP say the traffic stop took place on Highway 105 near the Chukuni River on April 30 at 6:15 p.m., after receiving two separate traffic complaints of erratic driving in the area.
The driver was later suspected of impairment by drug and failed a field sobriety test, leading to their arrest and further testing at the detachment.
As a result of their search, quantities of cannabis and cocaine were seized, as well as Canadian currency and items associated with drug trafficking.
The OPP say the 21-year-old of Warren, MB has been charged with:
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the purpose of Trafficking – Cocaine,
- Possession of proceeds of property obtained by crime under $5,000,
- Drive vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available,
- Driving motor vehicle with open container of liquor,
- Failure to notify change of address,
Police say the accused was held for bail court before being released, and is scheduled to appear back in Red Lake court on May 18. They also received a three day warn range suspension.
The OPP is reminding the public to always report suspected impaired drivers by calling 1-888-310-1122 or 911 in emergency situations.