A Kenora resident has lost his home and possessions after a fire on Highway 17 East last night.
Kenora Fire Chief Dave Pratt explains the fire is believed to have started in the home’s fireplace when the owner started a fire for warmth last night, before spreading to the chimney.
The Kenora Fire Service responded to the blaze to support the Longbow Lake Fire Department, who were also receiving support from nearby Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry fire crews that were doing training exercises in the area.
Despite the response, the fire did destroy the home, as well as his vehicle, a new camper trailer, motorcycle, school bus and various vehicles on the property.
Two GoFundMe campaigns have been created to support the homeowner, Richard Markham. One of the campaigns states he did not have house insurance at the time, with a goal of $10,000. The other has a goal of $100,000.
You can find links to donate HERE and HERE.