Residents are being warned of an online scam where Shuniah resident was taken for approximately $90,000.
On August 3rd Ontario Provincial Police received a report of a scam, when the victim had received a notification on their computer of Microsoft requesting access after being informed their computer had been hacked.
It was through this method of how the money was taken, with the victim being told by the fraudster not to advise bank employees they were being instructed to make transfers.
The investigation remains ongoing.
To prevent yourself from being a victim the OPP is offering these tips:
- Pump the brakes and ask questions
- Ask for credentials
- Listen to the inner voice that says "this doesn't sound right"
- Be wary of any request for cash or cryptocurrency
- Be cautious of any sense of urgency to act
- Do not be rushed into sending money