The Sioux Lookout OPP is asking residents for help to locate a stolen vehicle, and are reminding the public to ‘lock it or lose it’.
Police say on May 13, officers received a report of a vehicle having been stolen from Prince Street. The owner arrived home to find their silver 2007 Dodge Magnum had been taken from the residence sometime after 10 a.m. on May 12.
Police note that the vehicle had been left unlocked. Anyone with any information related to the incident is asked to contact the Sioux Lookout OPP at 807-737-2020 or 1-888-310-1122.
Residents are reminded that with warmer temperatures and spring weather, there is increased foot traffic and crimes of opportunity on local streets. Residents are asked to secure their vehicles and keep valuables out of sight at all times.
The Sioux Lookout OPP notes that due to COVID-19 social distancing restrictions, officers won’t be able to actively participate in the Lock It or Lose It program this spring, and the public is encouraged to conduct their own property checks.
Vehicle theft prevention tips include:
- Always roll up your vehicle’s windows, lock the doors and pocket the key,
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area,
- If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your vehicle,
- Never leave your vehicle unattended while running,
- Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view, put them in your trunk or remove them,
- Keep your vehicle registration / proof of insurance on you at all times.