Staff and trustees with the Keewatin-Patricia District School Board say the current school year won’t be extended into the summer months, as schools will remain closed until May 31 at least.
Last week, Minister of Education Stephen Lecce announced that they are not considering extending the school year into the summer, but there will be expanded summer learning opportunities available for students who have had their school years impacted by COVID-19.
These opportunities will focus on credit recovery, supports for vulnerable students and course upgrading. More information on these programs will be announced as it becomes available.
However, Lecce says there’s still the possibility that students will be returning to their classrooms in June, before the school year is officially over.
“The extension will provide the province more time, sufficient time to review the data and the modelling so that we can make the best decision based on the best medical advice and ensure that ultimately students remain safe and staff remain safe should they return to school at some point this year or at any point beyond,” Lecce said, in a prepared release.
“At this point we do not see a need to extend the school year,” Lecce added. He noted that students will receive their final grades this year, regardless of whether schools will reopen or not.
Schools have been closed since prior to the March break, due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Schools were originally set to open on May 4.
For more information:
Agreement reached with educational support workers